Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other major social media networks are often used by businesses to improve brand awareness and find new customers.
It’s easy to see why these platforms are such popular marketing tools: They provide audiences of hundreds of millions of people for businesses to convert into customers, and social media advertising rates are more affordable than traditional platforms such as print, television and radio.
For every 1,000 people you reach with a television ad, it generally costs more than $25 — the same number of people can be reached with social media advertising for less than $10.
The question-and-answer service Quora is usually left out of the conversation about social media marketing, but this site can also help you grow your business. In fact, Quora has some distinct advantages over more prominent platforms like Facebook and Twitter as a marketing channel.
Below, we’ll review the benefits of Quora marketing, how to create a profile for your business and tips for engaging with users on Quora.
What is Quora?
First, let’s start with a more detailed description of Quora.
Quora was founded in 2009 by two former Facebook employees, Adam D'Angelo and Charlie Cheever. Since its founding, Quora has become quite popular — it now has over 300 million unique visitors per month.
Here’s how the platform works: Users post questions, which range from objective requests for information such as “How many moons does Jupiter have?” to subjective questions like “What is the best brand of cereal?”
The community then responds with answers, and users can choose to upvote the answers that have been posted in response to the question as well. The answers are displayed on the page in order of how many upvotes each answer received, with the answer that received the most upvotes displayed first.
The Benefits of Promoting Your Business on Quora
Establishing a presence on Quora provides many benefits to online stores, including:
- Long-Term Exposure: With feed-based social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter, your posts will only receive impressions and engagement for a short period of time. Almost as soon as you publish a post, it will be buried under content from all the other accounts a user is following. Quora doesn’t work like that: Notable questions can remain popular for years, so you’ll get more value out of each of your posts.
- Drive Traffic to Your Store: You can also include links to your site in Quora answers. This will lead users directly to your store, where they can learn more about your business and might even be convinced to make a purchase. Keep in mind that these links are nofollow, so they don’t give you much of an SEO boost. However, with recent changes to Google’s search algorithm, nofollow links are more significant than they used to be.
- Establish Yourself as an Expert: Providing detailed, informative answers to questions proves to potential customers that you really know what you’re talking about. It gives them a good reason to try out your service rather than use one of your competitors.
- Learn More About Your Customers: Quora is a two-way street. In addition to exposing new people to your brand, you’ll be exposed to the thoughts and concerns that consumers have about issues in your industry. This information can be helpful for everything from marketing to web design to product development.
How to Create a Quora Profile for Your Business
Quora doesn’t have its own version of Facebook Business — there’s no way to create an account exclusively for your company. But you can create what’s known as a “topic” in Quora for your business and attach it to your profile, and there are other ways to associate your Quora profile with your business as well.
To create a complete Quora account for your business, follow these steps:
1. Go to Quora.com. You can connect an existing Facebook or Google profile to create an account quickly, or you can sign up with email and manually add your information.
2. Once your account is set up and you’re logged in to Quora, click on the circular profile icon next to “Add Question” and select your name. This will take you to the profile dashboard.
3. Click on the “What topics do you want to know about?” section.
4. Enter the name of your business into the search field. Then, click on the “Create Topic” button.
5. The newly created topic for your company will be listed under “Knows About.” Click on the new topic.
6. On the topic page, click on the empty image section to add your logo. Later, you can use this page to keep track of questions related to your brand.
7. Go back to your profile dashboard and select “Add employment credential.”
Here, you can enter your position and select the topic you just created for your business in the “Company/Organization” field. When you’re done, select “Save.”
8. You should add a professional headshot to give your profile a personal touch. To change your profile photo, click on the large circular icon on the left side of the profile dashboard, then drag and drop your headshot image file in.
9. To the right of your profile photo, you can also click on the “Write a description about yourself” link to add more information about your background and your business.
Quora Marketing Best Practices
Finally, when answering questions on Quora, be sure to follow these best practices:
- Subject Matter Experts Only: Managing your Quora profile isn’t a job that you should pass off to a low-level employee. Publishing incorrect or even insufficiently detailed answers will have a negative effect on your reputation. If you’re not going to answer questions yourself, assign this task to a member of your staff who has the experience to speak with authority.
- Always Attribute Sources: Quora has a strict policy regarding plagiarism. Whenever you copy or paraphrase content from another source, you need to include an attribution — otherwise, your account could be banned. And for long excerpts of text from another source, use Quora's blockquote formatting.
- Work Your Links In Organically: Another thing that can get you in trouble with Quora moderators is an egregious use of links back to your own site. Backlinks are indeed one of the biggest benefits of establishing a presence on Quora, but you need to be subtle. Every backlink must make sense in the context of your answer, and you should be focused on addressing the question rather than promoting your business.
- Write with Personality: While you want to come off as an expert, using too much technical jargon or dry language will lead to users skipping over your posts. Instead, you should favor a conversational tone and break down technical concepts into simple terms that everyone can understand. When appropriate, a little bit of humor helps, too.
With these tips, you’ll be able to use Quora to find new customers, improve your brand’s reputation and ultimately put your business in a better position to succeed.