Cookies and Online Ads
What We Collect:
We, and our third-party partners, may automatically collect certain types of usage information when an individual visits our websites or interacts with our Services. We may collect this information through a variety of data collection technologies, including cookies, web beacons, embedded scripts, location-identifying technologies, file information, and similar technology (collectively, “cookies”). For example, we may collect information about an individual’s device and its software, such as IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, platform type, device type, operating system, date and time stamp, and other similar information. We may collect analytics data or use third-party analytics tools such as Google Analytics to help us measure traffic and usage trends for our Services and to understand more about the demographics of our users.
How We Use That Information:
We use or may use the data collected through cookies to: (a) remember information so that an individual will not have to re-enter it during their visit or the next time they use our Services; (b) provide and monitor the effectiveness of our Services; (c) monitor aggregate metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, usage, and demographic patterns on our Services; (d) diagnose or fix technology problems; or (e) otherwise to plan for and enhance our Services. As explained in more detail below, we and our advertising partners also use this information to understand browsing activities, including across unaffiliated third-party sites, so that we can deliver ads and information about products and Services that may be of interest to an individual.
Choices About Cookies:
To manage cookies, an individual may change their browser settings to: (i) notify them when they receive a cookie, so the individual can choose whether or not to accept it; (ii) disable existing cookies; or (iii) set their browser to automatically reject cookies. Please note that doing so may negatively impact an individual’s experience using our websites, as some features and Services on our websites may not work properly. Depending on an individual’s device and operating system, they may not be able to delete or block all cookies. In addition, if an individual wants to reject cookies across all their browsers and devices, they will need to do so on each browser on each device they actively use. An individual may also set their email options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain technologies that would allow us to know whether they have accessed our email and performed certain functions with it.
We use the following types of cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the websites and online Services function. The legal basis for our use of strictly necessary cookies is our legitimate interests, namely being able to provide and maintain our websites and online Services. Please see the Annex below for more information.
- Functionality cookies. These enable a website to remember information that changes the way the website behaves or looks, like your preferred language or the region that you are in. The legal basis for our use of functionality cookies is our legitimate interests, namely being able to provide and maintain our websites and online Services. Please see the Annex below for more information.
- Analytical/performance cookies. These cookies allow us to recognize and count the number of visitors to our Site and online Services, and to see how visitors move around our Site and online Services when they are using them. This helps us to improve the way our Site and online Services work, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily. If you are accessing our websites with a European IP address, you have been asked to consent to the use of these cookies. You are free to deny your consent. Please see the Annex below for more information.
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our websites and online Services, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. They are used to track visitors across our websites. We will use this information to make our websites and the advertising displayed on it, and the marketing messages we send to you more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties who provide a service to us for this purpose. If you are accessing our websites with a European IP address, you have been asked to consent to the use of these cookies. You are free to deny your consent. Please see the Annex below for more information.
- Third party cookies. Please be aware that advertisers and other third parties may use their own cookies tags when you click on an advertisement or link on our websites or online Services. These third parties are responsible for setting out their own cookie and privacy policies. Please see the section How We Use That Information above for more information.
What We Collect and How We Use It:
We participate in interest-based advertising and use third-party advertising companies to serve targeted advertisements based on an individual’s browsing history. We permit third-party online advertising networks, social media companies and other third-party services, to collect information about an individual’s use of our online Services over time so that they may play or display ads on other websites, or services an individual may use, and on other devices an individual may use. Typically, though not always, the information used for interest-based advertising is collected through data collection technologies, such as cookies, web beacons, embedded scripts, location-identifying technologies, and similar technology (collectively, “data collection technologies”), which recognize the device an individual is using and collect information, including click stream information, browser type, time and date the individual visited the website, AdID, precise geolocation and other information. We may share a common account identifier (such as a hashed email address or user ID) with our third-party advertising partners to help identify an individual across devices. We and our third-party partners use this information to make the advertisements an individual sees online more relevant to their interests, as well as to provide advertising-related services such as reporting, attribution, analytics and market research.
Choices About Online Ads:
We support the self-regulatory principles for online behavioral advertising (“Principles”) published by the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”). This means that we allow an individual to exercise choice regarding the collection of information about their online activities over time and across third-party websites for online interest-based advertising purposes. More information about these Principles can be found at www.aboutads.info. If an individual wants to “opt out” of receiving online interest-based advertisements on their internet browser from advertisers and third parties that participate in the DAA program and perform advertising-related services for us and our partners, please follow the instructions.
When electing to opt-out through these sites, they will place an “opt-out” cookie on your device indicating that you do not want to receive interest-based advertisements. Opt-out cookies only work on the internet browser and device they are downloaded onto. If an individual wants to opt-out of interest-based advertisements across all browsers and devices, they will need to opt-out on each browser on each device they actively use. If an individual deletes cookies on their device generally, they will need to opt-out again.
If an individual wants to “opt out” of receiving online interest-based advertisements on mobile apps, they should follow the instructions at http://www.aboutads.info/appchoices.
Third-Party Partners and Social Media
We use Google Analytics and other analytics tools to recognize an individual and link the devices they use when they visit our websites or Services on their browser or mobile device, log in to their account on our Services, or otherwise engage with us. We share a unique identifier, like a user ID or hashed email address, with Google to facilitate the Services. Google Analytics allows us to better understand how our users interact with our Services and to tailor our advertisements and content to an individual. For information on how Google Analytics collects and processes data, as well as how individuals can control information sent to Google, review Google’s site “How Google uses data when you use our partners’ sites or apps” located at www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. Individuals can learn about Google Analytics’ currently available opt-outs, including the Google Analytics Browser Ad-On here https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
We may also utilize certain forms of display advertising and other advanced features through Google Analytics, such as Remarketing with Google Analytics, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, the DoubleClick Campaign Manager Integration, and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting. These features enable us to use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick advertising cookie) or other third-party cookies together to inform, optimize, and display ads based on past visits to the Service. Individuals may control their advertising preferences or opt-out of certain Google advertising products by visiting the Google Ads Preferences Manager, currently available at https://google.com/ads/preferences, or by visiting NAI’s online resources at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices.
Our Services may include social media features, such as the Facebook Like button or other widgets. These social media companies may recognize an individual and collect information about their visit to our Services, and they may set a cookie or employ other data collection technologies. An individual’s interactions with those features are governed by the privacy policies of those companies.
We display targeted advertising to individuals through social media platforms, such as Facebook and other social media forums. These companies have interest-based advertising programs that allow us to direct advertisements to users who have shown interest in our Services while those users are on the social media platform, or to groups of other users who share similar traits, such as likely commercial interests and demographics. We may share a unique identifier, such as a user ID or hashed email address, with these platform providers or they may collect information from our website visitors through a first-party pixel, in order to direct targeted advertising to an individual or to a custom audience on the social media platform. These advertisements are governed by the privacy policies of those social media companies that provide them. If an individual does not want to receive targeted ads on their social networks, they may be able to adjust their advertising preferences through their settings on those networks. An individual may learn more about advertising preferences by clicking on the links provided below. Please note that these links are provided for convenience only and we do not control the content or features that may be available on these third-party services.
To learn more about advertising preferences on Facebook Companies, please visit: https://www.facebook.com/help/109378269482053.